Getting Into the Blogosphere
One of the first things that a new or hopeful blogger should do is start reading other blogs. This has a very positive influence on your blogging brain. Exposing yourself to those who are doing what you want to do, blogging, has a number of beneficial effects:
- Exposes you to a number of different styles of writing blog posts for you to consider.
- Inspires in you ideas for your own blog posts as you read what others have to say.
- Builds a familiarity with the blogging world, the ins and outs of this writing craft.
To become a better blogger become a blog follower.
Follow blogs of your interests and industry by using a blog reader like Google Reader to make the whole proces easier.
What Blogs To Follow And How?
Start by searching google for blogs you are interested in. For instance:
- Blogs related to the topics of blogging you want to do yourself.
- Blogs that are about other topics of interest; interest fuels inspiration.
- Your competition’s blogs and general or industry news blogs.
To follow the blogs, you need a blog reader (an “RSS” reader) to collect all the blogs into one place for easy reading. Sign up for Google Reader if you don’t already have a reader. To add blog feeds to your reader (“subscribing”) go to the blogs themselves and look for the subscription buttons or RSS button. Some blogs make it a little hard to find (poor design), but once you get the hang of it finding these will be easy.
Don’t be afraid to unsubscribe from blogs you get bored with and always be on the lookout for new ones. Often one blog will lead you to others worth following.